Gilroy Chamber Business Focus – December 2023
December 11, 2023
Upcoming Business Workshops with SCORE
SCORE Silicon Valley is a group of experienced business professionals who provide guidance to those desiring to start up a new small business or to assist existing small businesses in improving their profitability.
View their business workshop schedule here.
Santa Clara Valley Winery Events
Join one of these fun holiday events going all December long.
December 4, 2023
Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (JEDI) Focus Groups
The City of Gilroy’s Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (JEDI) Initiative. MIG, Inc. will be facilitating community focus groups to collect input from a diverse and targeted set of community members representative of Gilroy.
Guiding questions for discussion include:
- How can the City of Gilroy and its various departments better communicate with and engage community members and groups who do not typically participate in public processes?
- How can the City of Gilroy and its various departments better focus on helping community members who need extra support?
- How can the City of Gilroy and its various departments better foster relationships with community organizations?
Are you interested in sharing your perspective and experiences regarding the challenges and opportunities facing the City and what the City can do to advance JEDI values? If yes, please consider participating in an in-person focus group. There are three opportunities to participate:
- English Focus Groups:
- Tuesday, December 19, 5:00-6:30 PM at the Gilroy Library
- Tuesday, December 19 7:00-8:30 PM at the Gilroy Library
- Spanish Focus Group:
- Wednesday, December 20, 6:00-7:30 PM at the San Ysidro Community Center
All participants will be thanked for their time with food and refreshments. If you are interested in participating, please complete the interest form linked here: https://bit.ly/GilroyJEDIFocusGroup
If you are selected to participate, you will receive an email and phone call to confirm your participation.
Please reach out with any questions or concerns. You can contact MIG, Inc. directly by emailing Bridget Brown firstname.lastname@example.org
Save on Gas This Winter
Energy-saving programs and tools for businesses
Make an immediate difference in your energy costs with these easy changes:
- Turn off equipment when not in use.
- Verify that the timed settings on your heating and air conditioning system match when your building is in use.
- Lower the thermostat on your furnace by one degree and save up to 3% in energy usage.
- Close curtains, shades and blinds at night, on weekends, and all times when your building is unoccupied.
Use this checklist when planning for upgrades:
- Add weather stripping, caulking or foam insulation around windows and doors to help reduce drafts.
- Caulk ducts, plumbing openings, recessed lighting fixtures and other spaces that leak air into walls, floors and ceilings.
- Upgrade to products with the ENERGY STAR® label.
- Ensure that the furnace damper works correctly to avoid heating cold, outside air.
Start budgeting for energy-saving upgrades:
- Hire a contractor to check your central heating and cooling ducts for leaks. Sealing and insulating air ducts can help improve system efficiency by up to 20%.
- Replace windows with high-efficiency ENERGY STAR windows. Replacing windows can help reduce your heating and cooling costs by up to 15%.
- Fix or upgrade defective plumbing, air ducts and pipes.
Get financing assistance and make payment arrangement via your online account.
The Power of Local: Smart Shopping for Stronger Communities
The Power of Local: Smart Shopping for Stronger Communities
Contributed by Visit Gilroy, Tourism & Community Engagement Coordinator, Mary Gurries
Online shopping is pervasive, but bargain hunters and community-minded individuals find real value in spending locally. Rather than virtual browsing, they’re choosing to step out and explore the many local stores that not only offer unique products, but also support jobs and community vitality.
Reinforcing Community Commerce
While the convenience of online shopping is tempting, there’s a satisfaction that comes from conducting business with a local establishment. Each visit and purchase made in a local store reverberates through the neighborhood, creating a ripple effect of economic growth.
Consider this: every dollar spent in a local business contributes to the livelihood of those within the community. Jobs are created, wages are earned, and families are supported all while gaining a stronger community identity. The quaint restaurant owned by a local family, the one-of-a-kind specialty boutique, or the local coffee shop all contribute to the unique character of a neighborhood by providing quality goods, services, and experiences. By frequenting these establishments, consumers play an active role in preserving the essence of their communities, ensuring that they remain vibrant and distinctive.
Retaining the Wealth of Community Engagement
The benefits of supporting local businesses extend beyond economic factors. These establishments act as hubs for social interaction, provide a physical space for people to connect, share stories, and build a stronger sense of community. This comes from enjoying an event of wine, live music, and prepared food at an intimate winery venue like Cottage Creek Vineyards or L&M Winery or catching a show at the Pintello Comedy Club with a group of friends. Practice your swing or play a round at one of the picturesque golf courses in Gilroy and finish the day at a place like Pop’s Public House or Settle Down Brewery & Taproom. Treat the family to a day of wonder at the Local Family Theme Park, Gilroy Gardens, or go for a shopping spree at the Gilroy Premium Outlets. So, feel that fabric on your fingers, make sure that sweater fits just right, and those shoes are nice and comfy – all things you can do when you shop local.
Smart shopping is more than finding the best deals; it becomes a conscious choice to invest in our community. The next time you contemplate an online purchase, choose to be a smart shopper who not only seeks quality and convenience but actively contributes to the prosperity and vitality of the community you are in.